Skip to main content

Our history

The short version

1880

An offshoot of the Wickham Terrace Sabbath School starts in a shop on Petrie Terrace, and is led in turn by theological students of the Presbyterian Hall.

2

1885

Members of the Sabbath School run a fundraising campaign to build a new church on Enoggera Terrace, which launches as Enoggera Terrace Presbyterian Church. The church runs without a minister until 1887, when the first minister, Rev. Samuel Glasgow Crawford, is called.

3

1915

Under the leadership of Rev. James Gibson, the name of the church is changed to “Ithaca Presbyterian Church”.

4

1913

George Orr begins the first company of the Boys' Brigade in Australia
5

1919

W.R. Black purchases the property at 100 Enoggera Tce and presents it to the Ithaca congregation.
6

1923-1930

Rev. Hubert Robertson

7

1930-1933

Rev. James Gibson

8

1934-1942

Rev. Rowellyn Ramsay

9

1943-1951

Rev. R.H.C. Crowe

10

1952-1958

Rev. T.J. Patterson

11

1959-1966

Rev. Campbell Egan

12

1966-1973

Rev. R. B. McIntyre

13

1973-1974

Rev. F. Harmon

The long version

 

1880

A Sabbath School was established in a shop in Petrie Terrace opposite the Victoria Barracks. It was given free rent by Mr Rob Menzies of Ipswich. This school was an offshoot of the Wickham Terrace Sabbath School and was conducted by theological students in turn, many of whom went on to become ministers. Evening services were also held.

2

1882

This Sabbath School was moved in 1882 to Lovenberry’s Hall on Waterworks Road in Red Hill, which was known at the time as the Red Hill School of Arts. At this time, 120 pounds was raised to purchase the land on Enoggera Tce on which to build a church.

3

1885

Enoggera Terrace Presbyterian Church building completed

4

1887-1893

Rev. Samuel Glasgow Crawford was inducted (30/06/1887) and served for six years.
5

1893-1909

Rev. R. Henry Roberts inducted and was minister for 15 years.
6

1909-1913

Rev. James Walker served as minister during this time. The Governor of Queensland, Sir William MacGregor, worshipped at Enoggera Terrace Presbyterian Church during this time.
7

1914-1922

Rev. James Gibson. The name of the church is changed to "Ithaca Presbyterian Church"
8

1913

George Orr begins the first company of the Boys' Brigade in Australia
9

1919

W.R. Black purchases the property at 100 Enoggera Tce and presents it to the Ithaca congregation.
10

1919

W.R. Black purchases the property at 100 Enoggera Tce and presents it to the Ithaca congregation.
11

1923-1930

Rev. Hubert Robertson

12

1930-1933

Rev. James Gibson

13

1934-1942

Rev. Rowellyn Ramsay

14

1943-1951

Rev. R.H.C. Crowe

15

1952-1958

Rev. T.J. Patterson

16

1959-1966

Rev. Campbell Egan

17

1966-1973

Rev. R. B. McIntyre

18

1973-1974

Rev. F. Harmon

The Ministers of Ithaca Presbyterian

1887-1893

Rev. Samuel Glasgow Crawford

1893-1909

Rev. R. Henry Roberts

1909-1913

Rev. James Walker

1914-1922

Rev. James Gibson

1923-1930

Rev. Hubert Robertson

1930-1933

Rev. James Gibson

1934-1942

Rev. Rowellyn Ramsay

1943-1951

Rev. R.H.C. Crowe

1952-1958

Rev. T.J. Patterson

1959-1966

Rev. Campbell Egan

1966-1973

Rev. R. B. McIntyre

1973-1974

Rev. F. Harmon

LINKS

https://digitalcollections.qut.edu.au/5163/

https://heritage.brisbane.qld.gov.au/heritage-places/742#top

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4490532

https://digitalcollections.qut.edu.au/4255/