Skip to main content

The Story of Ithaca Presbyterian Church

 

1880

A Sabbath School was established in a shop in Petrie Terrace opposite the Victoria Barracks. It was given free rent by Mr Rob Menzies of Ipswich. This school was an offshoot of the Wickham Terrace Sabbath School and was conducted by theological students in turn, many of whom went on to become ministers. Evening services were also held.

2

1882

This Sabbath School was moved in 1882 to Lovenberry’s Hall on Waterworks Road in Red Hill, which was known at the time as the Red Hill School of Arts. At this time, 120 pounds was raised to purchase the land on Enoggera Tce on which to build a church.

3

1885

Enoggera Terrace Presbyterian Church building completed

4

1887-1893

Rev. Samuel Glasgow Crawford was inducted (30/06/1887) and served for six years.
5

1893-1909

Rev. R. Henry Roberts inducted and was minister for 15 years.
6

1909-1913

Rev. James Walker served as minister during this time. The Governor of Queensland, Sir William MacGregor, worshipped at Enoggera Terrace Presbyterian Church during this time.
7

1914-1922

Rev. James Gibson. The name of the church is changed to "Ithaca Presbyterian Church"
8

1913

George Orr begins the first company of the Boys' Brigade in Australia
9

1919

W.R. Black purchases the property at 100 Enoggera Tce and presents it to the Ithaca congregation.
10

1919

W.R. Black purchases the property at 100 Enoggera Tce and presents it to the Ithaca congregation.
11

1923-1930

Rev. Hubert Robertson

12

1930-1933

Rev. James Gibson

13

1934-1942

Rev. Rowellyn Ramsay

14

1943-1951

Rev. R.H.C. Crowe

15

1952-1958

Rev. T.J. Patterson

16

1959-1966

Rev. Campbell Egan

17

1966-1973

Rev. R. B. McIntyre

18

1973-1974

Rev. F. Harmon

LINKS

https://digitalcollections.qut.edu.au/5163/

https://heritage.brisbane.qld.gov.au/heritage-places/742#top

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4490532

https://digitalcollections.qut.edu.au/4255/